Blended Learning at Sacred Heart College
At Sacred Heart College, our vision is to prepare each student to leave the College well-grounded in his faith, and ready and able to participate in a complex and changing world with the determination to succeed at the highest level in personal and professional life.
The vision that we have developed is focused on the premise that having a personal device allows the learning to become more effectively personalised, available to the student anywhere, anytime and at the pace that works for the individual. We call it blended learning - where the best of the existing approaches is blended with the best of what the technology has to offer. We are seeking to maximise engagement with the hope that better engagement leads to deeper learning, more intellectual, conceptual and creative thinking with greater understanding and retention. This in turn will lead to better results, and students who are able to interact extremely positively in the post school environment and make valuable contributions both locally and further afield.
The pedagogical theory is seated in the SAMAR model (Substitution; Augmentation; Modification and Redefinition).
- Substitution: the computer stands in for another technological tool without significant change in the tool’s function.
- Augmentation: the computer replaces another technological tool, with significant functionality increase.
- Modification: the computer enables the redesign of significant portions of a task.
- Redefinition: the computer allows for the creation of new tasks that would be inconceivable without the technology.
The iPad was chosen as the device of choice by the College for the following reasons:
- Excellent battery life
- Very stable platform (Apple’s proven track record for reliability is second to none)
- Closed system (the college did not want devices brought that could potentially compromise our network).
- The quality of the product is excellent (the quality of the touch screen, the camera, the intuitive nature of its usage)
The College recommends the 10.2-inch 7th generation iPads (32GB Wi-Fi). Other iPad models, including the iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad Pro are also available in various memory sizes. 32GB of memory is more than enough as much of the work done can be stored in the cloud. Students do not need (and we would prefer they didn’t have) iPads with 3G/4G/5G capability. iPad's can be purchased through Cyclone Computers website www.cyclone.co.nz.
If you have any questions regarding purchasing through Cyclone Computers please contact the company directly. If purchasing an iPad will be difficult for your family financially please contact Br Gerard Mahony (Co-Director of Pastoral Care) to discuss. The College has in place a facility to assist you.