Game two in Sri Lanka – Match Report

Day 2 Game Day report:

We arrived at the Mercantile cricket club and clearly a few phone calls had been made after our comprehensive win on day one. Today’s opposition were clearly bigger and older with the quality likely to be a big step up. Hard to tell the age of the players but certainly at least one or two of the players were 19 years old and included a member of the Sri Lankan under 19 and 23 side.

The wicket again was a surprise. It was relatively green but firm, albeit a little uneven. Given the overnight rain, with the outfield a bit damp and the fact that only three batsman were required yesterday, we made the decision to bat. Hugo won the toss and we elected to bat. 

We put together a very professional innings with solid contributions from a number of players finishing with 269/9. Paul, carrying on where he left off yesterday and with Nick made a very solid start. After seeing of their full quota of pace bowling (6 overs, the remaining 44 overs were all spin) Paul unfortunately was first man out for 16 in the 7th over. Nick and Tim B regrouped and put together a 30 run partnership before Nick was out for 27. Jack looked good but his stay was brief falling for 11 caught and bowled. 91/3 off 24 overs.

The two Tim’s then put together a very good 58 run partnership in just 8 overs with Dowling especially brutal hitting the ball out of the ground twice. 149/4 off 29 with Burke out for a solid 38. Dowling was next to go for a well compiled and entertaining 45 off 42 balls. 164/5 off 34 overs. Kent fell soon after for 2. 171/6 off 35 and the innings was precariously placed but an impressive partnership between Charlie and Ben (74 off 12 overs) ensured we would indeed capitalise on the good foundation and post a big score. Charlie was dismissed for an impressive 53 off 48 balls on the last ball of the 47th over – he was knackered (very hot energy sapping conditions)! Ben followed an over later for an excellent 39 off 34. Unfortunately Ryan was LBW next ball. Hugo and Scott ensured we batted the full 50 overs collecting a valuable 11 runs from the last 11 balls. Hugo and Scott were both left 4 not out.

Our efforts to defend 269 got off to a shaky start with Aston’s first over lasting 13 balls and costing 14 runs. But Aston responded strongly with his next 4 overs costing only 11 runs and he also picked up a valuable wicket. Gibbo again bowled well snaring an important wicket with Jack taking a stunning one handed catch at second slip. Gibbo ended up with 2 for 9 off 5
overs. Another very good opening bowling partnership. They were 40/3 after their opening 10 overs were completed.

Batting at number 4 for Mercantile was the Sri Lankan under 19 and 23 player. He was severely tested by both Aston and Gibbo, with Gibbo very unlucky not to have him LBW. That said, the umpiring was again very good. Jason will continue this trend I’m sure when he umpires in the coming games!

Their 4th wicket partnership was looking ominous until Hugo picked up the massive wicket of the u19/23 player with a great catch by Paul running in from the deep. From this point we continued to pick up wickets at regular intervals with all catches offered taken – some very good catches too (Burke, Westerlund x 3 and Wallace). With one player retired hurt we picked up the last wicket at 129, winning by an impressive 140 runs albeit we let another batsman have a bat in the true Marist spirit. 

Hugo finished with an impressive 4 for 17 off 18 overs, with Kent bowling well collecting 2 for 22 off 5 overs. Scott and Matty P also bowled well but were unlucky not to pick up a wicket. Charlie and Ryan shared the keeping.

All in all a very impressive display by the boys. Players of the day were Charlie and Hugo. Note the winners for game 1 were Gibbo and Paul. 

One final note was the pre game presentation of a cap to Nick after his back to back valuable contributions in Term 1 including 93 v Macleans. Congratulations Nick.

Rest day tomorrow. Game 3 on Thursday. 

Back to News