Code of Practice and ERO

Code of Practice
When students come to study in New Zealand, education providers have an important responsibility to ensure that those students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. Sacred Heart College is a signatory and has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from the College or from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website.

Education Review Office (ERO) - 2018 Review

Provision for international students

The school is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the Code) established under section 238F of the Education Act 1989. The school has attested that it complies with all aspects of the Code. At the time of this review there were 83 international students attending the school. Robust monitoring systems and internal evaluation processes ensure that the school continues to meet its obligations under the Code.

An experienced team of staff in the school’s international student department provides high quality support for international students’ education and wellbeing. Learning programmes, including those for English language learning, are tailored to students’ individual needs. International students achieve very well in their studies for NCEA and participate widely across all aspects of school life.

The full 2018 ERO report can be viewed here.

Full details of immigration requirements, advise on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at 

Eligibility for Health Services
Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at 

The Accident Compensation Corporation
Provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance
International Students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. This is a requirement under The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Insurance can be arranged through the College with the Southern Cross International Student Insurance Plan. If students wish to purchase their insurance elsewhere, the College needs to be provided with a copy of the insurance certificate and policy wordings so we may determine whether the insurance provides sufficient cover for the student’s medical, travel and potential repatriation needs. For further details please download the Health and Travel Insurance form under 'Resources' on this page.