The Role of the Dean
The Deans at Sacred Heart College provide the necessary pastoral and academic support for all students in their respective year levels for which they are responsible. Their role is fundamental to student achievement. Their key tasks are communication with students, parents, staff and homeroom teachers and liaising with senior management when necessary. Deans have a genuine working relationship with students in their year level. Each year level Dean's role it is to provide a strong disciplinary, pastoral and academic support system.
Key Pastoral Care and discipline responsibilities include:
- ensuring students are working to the best of their abilities
- promoting excellence and acknowledging student achievement
- providing a safe and positive learning environment
- having positive interaction with peers
- evaluating student referrals from classroom teachers and taking action as required
- monitoring attendance levels
- monitoring academic achievement of students
- communicating with parents and guardians/caregivers
The role of the Guidance Counsellor at Sacred Heart College is to provide support to any students seeking or needing help. This support comes in various forms either counselling, accessing external agencies, arranging peer support and offering assistance when well-being assessments need to be made.
Often the work of the Counsellor is on a confidential basis with the student. The Counsellor also works in closely with the Pastoral Care team and the Deans.
Year Levels Deans