International Student Information
Welcome from the Director of International Students
Welcome to Sacred Heart College and thank you for your interest in exploring your study options at one of New Zealand’s leading Catholic boys' schools with outstanding performance in academia, sports, music and cultural activities.
Founded in 1903, Sacred Heart College is a day and boarding school with more than 100 years of Marist tradition that upholds the values of its founder St Marcellin Champagnat. Old Boys of Sacred Heart College are numbered among New Zealand's top musicians, academics, artists, sportsmen, as well as religious and civil leaders.
International students from Asia, Europe, and Pacific attend Sacred Heart College to either study our full high school programme to gain entry to university, or sometimes come for a short period of time to learn English, travel in the country and experience a new culture that New Zealand has to offer. The College provides an excellent academic programme and caring environment for our International Students to be successful in their future. It is pleasing to see many of our students gained entry to some of the top Universities both in New Zealand and other parts of the world.
International Students contribute positively to the learning environment and provide a valuable cultural mix for our school. We have a wonderful team of staff in the International Department and ELL Department who are dedicated to the care and support of each individual student. We invite you to join us as part of our school community and family.
Please read our International Prospectus, there is also a pamphlet that has been translated into several different languages under the Resource section on the above right-hand side of this page. Please also watch our video and check our International Students Facebook page to see a true Sacred Heart College experience.
Location and Facilities
Located on a magnificent site of 22 hectares of park-like grounds, Sacred Heart College is 20 minutes' drive from the centre of New Zealand's biggest city, Auckland. The College is equipped with impressive facilities which include nine sports fields, six teaching buildings, a state-of-the-art technology block, three heated swimming pools, a large gymnasium, modern computer laboratories, and a comprehensive library. A 1500-seat auditorium enables the whole school to gather together as one for assemblies, concerts and prize-givings. A new Performing Arts Centre was completed in early 2017 and is widely used for music, drama and performing arts activities.
For more information on our campus and facilities, please see Our Campus page.
Why Sacred Heart College?
- Sacred Heart College is one of New Zealand's leading Catholic boys' schools with outstanding performance in academia, sports, music and cultural activities.
- International Students have the choice of boarding at our onsite hostel catering for 170 boarders, or stay at a College approved host family.
- Located on a magnificent site of 24 hectares of park-like grounds, only 20 minutes drive from Auckland city centre.
- Impressive facilities: 9 sports fields, 6 teaching buildings, a state of the art technology block, 3 swimming pools, a large gymnasium, modern computer laboratories, a comprehensive library, a new 1500-seat auditorium, and a brand new Art & Performing Centre for Performing Arts and Music.
- NCEA Levels 1, 2 and 3 pass rates and excellence rates are consistently among the highest nationally for boys' schools. A large number of students gain NCEA scholarships each year in their chosen subjects and are accepted into top universities both in New Zealand and overseas.
- Sacred Heart Sports Institute leads the development of top-level participation in key sports: Cricket, Basketball, Football, Rugby, Water Polo, and Rowing, and identifies and develops high-performing students who the College believes have the potential to become elite sportsmen.
- A strong pastoral care system in the school to make sure our students are well looked after.
- Sacred Heart College has had many years of experience hosting International Students from all over the world. The College is a signatory to the Code of Practice for International Students and takes the welfare and education of their students very seriously.
- The number of International Students is small which enables students to be readily integrated into College life.
Director of International Students
09 529 3660 ext. 882
029 200 8993