Years 7 & 8 Sport
Aims of our SHC Year 7 & 8 Sports Programme
- Enjoy being together as Year 7s and Year 8s in Classes/Teams/Houses
Full participation by all students - doing your best, contributing positively!
- Developing skills, techniques, tactics, strategies.
- Opportunity for our talented and competitive sportsmen – individual/teams.
- Overcoming challenges, disappointments. Enjoying achievement and success!
- Represent SHC with PRIDE!
Wednesday Sport Afternoon (Period 5 and 6, approx. 1:30-3pm)
- Term 1 – Athletics (preparation for SHC Twilight Athletics), Class Challenge, Winter-Sport Trials
- Term 2/3 – Winter Sport: Rugby, Hockey, Football, (Basketball tbc). All boys select a Sport – trials are held for the top two teams. All boys are placed in a team, as much as possible in the Sport they trialled for. However, team numbers/staff numbers/weight in Rugby’s case, may mean some boys are placed in a different sport.
Exchanges v St Peters College, Pt England School, King’s School, Dilworth Junior, St Kentigern School, St Kentigern College (More information re. Wednesday Winter Sport will be sent out later in Term 1)
- Term 4 – House Competition: Sevens, Touch, Basketball, Tennis, Football, Volleyball, Tabloids
Eastern-Zone and Inter-Zone Sport
- Individuals/Teams selected through trials/performances for: Swimming, Rugby, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Cross-Country, Athletics, Touch
- Cricket and Water Polo do not have Eastern-Zone or Inter-Zone competitions but have other tournaments – some during school time, some on weekends. (Information will come from these Sports’ Departments)
After school Water Polo, Basketball, Cycling
NOTE: We DO NOT have Year 7 and 8 Saturday or after school teams in Rugby, Hockey, Football or Cricket.
Boys who play sports like this should be playing for the Clubs they have played for throughout primary school, or for those who are not part of a Club, now is the perfect time to sign up.
If your son is involved in other sports that we cannot offer as a school in Years 7 and 8, eg. sailing, water sports, martial arts, golf, archery, equestrian etc please let me know as it is possible there may be Inter-School competitions that we could enter him in.
Sport is for everyone. Competitive Sport is not for everyone.
We work hard to find the right balance and provide the opportunities that we can.
Ms Priscilla Paul